Faqs for Canada

FAQs for Canada

  • Do Canadian colleges accept 10+2+3 education system of India?
  • Yes, 10+2+3 system is accepted for post graduate (PG) diploma programs however, for masters in Canada, almost all universities require 10+2+4. However, certain universities may accept 10+2+3 for masters in selected programs on a case-to-case basis.

  • Can students work during studies in Canada?
  • Indian students are allowed to work for 20 hours per week during an ongoing session and full-time during vacations. You can also get up to three years of extension post completion of your studies depending on your program duration.

    For a one-year program, you can acquire a work permit of one year while for programs with duration of 2-4 years, you can get a work permit of up to 3 years (visa rules are subject to change, please check the official website for the same).

  • What are the accommodation options available in Canada?
  • As an Indian student, you can opt for on-campus residence facility or look for an off-campus accommodation. Most universities in Canada offer dormitories or townhouses for students from other countries. Living as a resident on-campus is a very affordable option, however you need to apply for it separately, and well ahead in time to secure a slot for yourself.

    If you are unable to find such accommodation or wish to stay alone, you can get a space for yourself on rent in shared apartments/condominium. Remember, the rentals will vary from city to city. Our representatives will also help you find an accommodation that works out the best for you.

    Q1. What are the requirements for a study permit in Canada?

    You will need to have been accepted into a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada, provide proof of financial support, demonstrate that you will leave Canada at the end of your studies, and pass a medical exam if required. You may also need to provide biometrics (fingerprints and photographs).

    Q2. How much money do I need to show for a study permit in Canada?

    You will need to show that you have enough money to cover your tuition fees and living expenses for the duration of your studies. The exact amount you will need to show will depend on the length of your course and where you will be studying in Canada.

    Q3. What level of English proficiency is required for a study permit in Canada?

    You will need to demonstrate that you can speak, read, write, and understand English or French at the required level for your course. This will usually mean passing an approved language test such as IELTS.


    Q4. How do I apply for a study permit in Canada?

    You can apply online through the Government of Canada's website or by paper application. You will need to provide all of the required documents, including your passport, letter of acceptance from a DLI, evidence of your finances, and language test results.

    Q5. How long does it take to get a study permit in Canada?

    Ans. The processing time for a study permit application can vary depending on where you are applying from and the volume of applications being processed at the time. It is recommended to apply as early as possible, as the process can take several weeks or even months.

    Does the SDS Replace IRCC’s Regular Study Permit Stream?

    The SDS doesn’t replace IRCC’s regular study permit, but in simple terms, it’s just an expedited stream. In case a student applies for the SDS, but doesn’t qualify, their application will be processed under regular processing procedures.

    Which of the English proficiency tests are accepted under SDS application?

    Under the SDS program, you need to show proof of your IELTS Exam, as other English Language proficiency tests are not accepted under the new SDS category.

    Why should you choose SDS over non-SDS?

    SDS applications are processed much faster compared to Non-SDS student visa applications. This is because SDS applications receive priority processing, which means that you will receive your visa decision faster and can start your studies in Canada sooner.

    Is GIC needed for Non-SDS?

    No, a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) is not required for non-Student Direct Stream (non-SDS) applicants. A GIC is a specific requirement for students applying through the Student Direct Stream program.

    Is SOP required for the SDS category?

    Yes, a Statement of Purpose (SOP) is typically required for students applying for a student visa through the Student Direct Stream (SDS) program.

    Book Your Free Counselling

    If you have the dream of Study Abroad, we make the path for you and make it success. Orion Edutech Study Abroad provides a wide range of services to support you with your international education journey. If you are dreaming of studying overseas, Orion Edutech Study Abroad will get you there. From course information to career advice, we are dedicated to you and your international future.

    Get In Touch

    Orion Edutech Pvt. Ltd.
    Mani Casadona, Office No-5ES5, 5th Floor, East Tower, Newtown, Kolkata - 700 156

    9330345136 or 9875607322 / 32


    Copyright © Study Abroad Orion Edutech. All Rights Reserved.

    Designed by Saanvi SwarnTech